However, as it has been an especially busy last few months for us, we decided to enjoy a cozy, quite Christmas at home this year. We love all of our family dearly, and while we enjoy every moment we spend together, we appreciated so much knowing that everyone understood our need to just be with each other this year in our own home. Following is a little look into our McLean Christmas. :)
Christmas Eve, Eve
In lieu of being just the two of us (and Bear) for Christmas this year, we thought it would be fun to go all out and enjoy cooking a true gourmet Christmas dinner together. We wanted to try some new recipes, and together we got to work searching the inter-webs for just the right meal. As a true Martha Stewart fan (her cooking and crafting that is, not the insider-trading ;-) I quickly found all I was looking for under her special holiday recipe section at marthastewart.com.
McLean Christmas Menu
Brunch
Egg nog french toast
Spicy sausage (from the local farm where we also get our milk)
Beverage
Cranberry-orange mimosas
Dinner
Cranberry-stuffed cornish game hens
Glazed carrots and ginger
Green bean casserole
Cauliflower gratin
Cheddar biscuits
Beverage
Christmas at Biltmore Rose Wine
(we purchased this bottle when we toured the Biltmore winery and estate on our anniversary in October.)
With our ingredients list in tow, we made our way to the grocery store to pick-up any last needed supplies.
| Note the sign Chris is standing under. Quite appropriate. He's my sweet goods. ;-) |
Upon getting home, I quickly whipped up some homemade chewy molasses spice cookies, to take with us later in the car as we drove around looking at Christmas lights. These cookies turned out AMAZING, by the way. Best spice cookie recipe I've ever used.
Our dear friend, Megan, was joining us on our adventure for lights that evening, so I packed up our freshly-baked cookies and a thermos of Chris's special french press coffee for some treats on-the-go.
Growing up, my mother never let us go out looking at Christmas lights without some home-baked goodies for the car-ride, and the tradition continues in our house, too. :)
P.S. My mom's pretty awesome. She's one of those amazing women who always made every occasion that much more memorable with all of her special touches. If you appreciate my love for cooking, home-making, and decorating, you have my beautiful mother to thank.
Our little bear didn't want to be left out, so he was tucked in quite cozily in the backseat to enjoy our Christmas light adventure.
We drove around most of the city it seems in our search for great lights, and ended up at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront for their yearly Christmas Light Extravaganza on the beach. They block off the entire boardwalk area for cars, and deck several miles with lights. After an hour of waiting in line to get to the beginning (most of our city was there with us!) we finally began...
For those of you in the area who considered taking part in this, it's a bit pricey at $10 a car, however, there was something special about enjoying lights with the sound of the ocean in the background.
Christmas Eve
With all of our preparation for Christmas finished the night before (yay), and no additional errands to run, Chris and I started our day off with a yummy protein shake before heading off to the gym for some Body Pump (me) free weights (Chris) and a Body Combat class (together).
Little Bear is best friends with our mailman, and as a little thank you for all the doggie treats he brings Bear throughout the week, I wanted to give him some Christmas goodies: A bag of the molasses spice cookies I'd made the night before.
We have a cozy, independent theater (built in 1930) located right down our street, and we were delighted to find out that they were showing "It's a Wonderful Life" during the week of Christmas. We decided to make the afternoon showing our Christmas Eve outing.
I never cease to be touched by this movie, and yet again walked out with tears in my eyes. It was special to enjoy it in all of it's original glory on the silver screen -- seated in the balcony (our favorite spot!) This was also Chris's first time seeing the film all the way through. Shocking, I know! Especially considering that I've probably seen it 20 times.
We were invited to a friend's home for a Christmas Eve dinner party, but as my back started acting up some (I deal with chronic back pain -- usually manageable, but it can flare up at various points) I ended up opting for pj's and the couch. Our friends insisted we enjoy some of their party food to-go, so Chris trekked out to bring me back some incredible chili, homemade salsa, and delectable desserts. What a blessing and so incredibly delicious!
After learning that I'd never seen "A Christmas Story" (it's true, I think I'd only seen bits and pieces here and there over the years) Chris insisted we watch it that evening, and luckily found that good old TBS was running a 24-hour marathon. Favorite part: "Fra-gil-e. Ah, it must be from Italy." ;-)
So, how did our Christmas meal turn out? Stay tuned...Part II coming soon. ;-)
2 comments:
Rachel, Adam and I did the same exact thing for our first Christmas together. It was such a special time for us and I am so thankful we celebrated just the "three" of us..counting Colden of course. It looks like you two made some great memories :) Merry Christmas!
Sounds like fun. Jason and I stayed in this year as well and loved every minute of it. Family members were sick, Molly is so small, and it was snowing and cold. We had a fabulous day and will always remember it.
ps. I wish we lived next door so I could join you in your cooking and decorating adventures!
Post a Comment